Friday, 18 November 2016

You got this, girl

Feminism. Empowerment. Almighty frickin' gloriousness.

These are all terms that intimidate the bejeezus out of me.

Feminism: Incase you haven’t noticed; I’m a woman, so naturally I will advocate the premise of gender equality until my face explodes. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that feminism is a topic that I touch on lightly.

Empowerment: Not really a term I would affiliate with myself, seeing as I’m a complete wimp in confrontation with a 94% chance of tears and/or dying if I come remotely close to a debate with someone. Unfortunately, confrontation and empowerment often come hand-in-hand – you have to face arguments and criticism when attempting to give any form of influence, right? So yeah, empowerment… *shudder*

Almighty frickin' gloriousness: Now this just speaks for itself. I hear this phrase and I picture Beyoncé, high and mighty on her throne of sunshine and gold, being fed crunchy red grapes by the Angel Gabriel himself while she sings sweet lullabies to the children of the highest order. This is not quite the scenario one comes across on a fortnightly basis.

Now, intimidating as these phrases may be when put into action, does that make it okay for us to avoid them completely and revert to ridicule and slander towards other women? I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve heard words with more kick than a sour apple bon bon being thrust in my direction by other women.

Sure, you might have good reason to wish crippling period pains and a lifetime of bad eyeliner on these girls that you may curse at. They could be your best friends new friend, your exes new girlfriend, that girl you went to school with who has always been so much prettier than you, or even the girl who had the audacity to turn up to a nightclub in an outfit slightly less exuberant than a wrap dress and 8 inch Louboutin's.

But I tell you what ladies, there is no better feeling than embracing the envy (because lez be real – that’s what it boils down to) and telling that girl she is a ten, because that’s exactly what women need: feminine empowerment and to be told they are almighty fricken' glorious. We have enough grief from creepy middle-aged men with more money than social skills and a willy stick small enough to shape your nose contour, so why is it so natural for women to despise each other before getting the chance to bond over Kim Kardashian and that guy from Towie with all the tattoos?

So how about this: go and high five your best friends new friend for having awesome taste in people you want to hang out with, be excited for your exes new girlfriend for finding happiness with someone that you were never going to be with forever anyway, tell that girl from school that she frickin' WERKS it like Sharon Needles in the RuPocalypse and she is awesome, and you tell that girl dressed a little more casually than everybody else that she is SLAYING because beauty is individuality.


With this philosophy, my darling girlfriends, we will be amazing. We will not have Feminism seen as an extremist movement trying to take over the world. We will not look wide-eyed at those that empower us and feel like we will never have that influence, because we ourselves will be empowering our sisters. And we will be oozing almighty frickin' gloriousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment